Thursday, March 6, 2014

swelling, swelling

Whoa, I have gained 6 lb this week, and yes, I am aware that the week is not even over yet.  In four days, I should specify, my weight has gone up by 6 lb.  I am now 200 lb, the weight I was aiming for at delivery.

I am very sure that it is all fluid.  I track my calories religiously on myfitnesspal and I have not gone over 2300 calories, in fact I have stayed around 1800 calories on most days, except on the days when I swim half an hour, then I add an extra 200-300 calories if I am very hungry.  Also, my carb intake is around 45%, which is very decent.

Today I woke up with my fingers the size of sausages.  I cannot make a fist at all.  I have not looked at my feet yet, but I can thankfully open my eyes, though I am puffy.  This weekend I am supposed to have my beautiful maternity photographs done, sigh...Hopefully she is decent with photoshop.

I have noticed that being in the water helps a lot, and I take Emma to the pool for two hours at a time, as well as swim for half an hour a few times a week.  I only do about 800 m front crawl, and have been planning to slowly increase by 50m per week until I reach 1 km, then perhaps stay there for the duration of the pregnancy. I really need to spend as much time as possible in the water, something about the hydrostatic pressure (and lack of gravity?) is very helpful with this swelling.  I now recall why I was such an avid swimmer during my last pregnancy :), then I had the time to do 1.5 to 2 km in a leisurely fashion almost every day.

My BP is still good, 110/84 or so.  I have an old dipstick and did a urine protein, but not having the box anymore I cannot really tell what the colour should be, I just watched the square that I know corresponds to the protein to see if there are any big changes.  There were no big changes, so I am not thinking that I am spilling massive amounts of protein.

Don't know what is happening with the fluid retention, but I am really hoping it will stabilize.  As it is, I am heading towards 210 lb at delivery if I don't gain any more fluid.  A lot more than I was hoping for, but so be it.  Healthy baby boy at the end, fingers crossed.

2 comments:

  1. Buna, Ioana! Felicitari, sarcina usoara pina la capat, copilasi sanatosi si numai bine tuturor! Te pup. Larisa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read all the time nod don't know the cause of your swelling but I was able to really manage my weight well using trim healthy mama during my last pregnancy. They just explain everything reply well and have a couple chapters specifically for pregnancy. Anyway, hope things go well with baby boy.

    ReplyDelete