Tuesday, September 25, 2012

winter coming

Winter is coming in our neck of the woods.  We have very hard, long winters, but for the past two years, due to the change in seasons and global warming, they have been very mild.  As an example, I have an extensive glove collection that I did not even touch last winter.  I did not need to wear gloves at all!  Seven years ago, I could not have opened a door because my skin would have glued onto the metal of the door knob if I did not protect my hands.

Somebody was telling me yesterday that because of the permafrost melting, further North in Yellowknife the roads were sinking.  Apparently we will have no polar ice left in three more years either.  This is scary.  I worry about Emma's future, the world that she will live in, and whether she will be able to live at all, because who knows how many human lives this change in temperature will claim. I am quite negative since thinking about all this.  I am also shocked by the fact that most people around me don't seem to worry at all.  I guess that is why I have anxiety disorder and they don't.

On the plus side, we had a lot of fun in the park this summer.  Emma managed to climb all the way to the top of a tall ladder (2.5 m) by herself, and then to go on the circular slide by herself as well.  It scares me a bit so I go behind her, but I am quite amazed by how strong she is.

All in all, one of the best summers so far.  I got to go outside during the day, which for a working person is a treat, and enjoyed the sunshine together with my daughter, which is the most important part.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like Emma is still enjoying her adventurous streak!

    We are feeling the chill of winter creeping in as well. Coming off such a warm, sunny summer it feels especially harsh. I will miss being able to walk outside in our pajamas and sit in the warm grass, and I have to admit I am a little scared by the prospect of keeping my outdoor loving 20 month old happy indoors this winter.

    ReplyDelete